♠️ Polychain Capital crypto portfolio breakdown
Welcome to zero knowledge. A weekly newsletter breaking down where the top VCs are investing in web3/crypto.
A few things to keep in mind + a big heads up that is coming your way:
#1 🚨 web3/crypto Security research 🚨 – I've been working on a deep-dive focused on web3 security that I'm excited about sharing with you. Too many hacks are happening too frequently, resulting in billions of dollars lost. This is only going to get worse as crypto scales to the masses. This is why I'm paying special attention to what is happening in the web3/crypto security space 🔒.
There are a lot of companies and founders working on different problems in security, and I'm going to break down who is doing what, who are the established players, where the major problems and opportunities exist, and as a result, where I'm excited to invest.
#2 This week's report is only featuring Polychain's portfolio data and a quick breakdown of the 'most interesting company in their portfolio'.
#3 I want to know what is most interesting to you so I can tailor my research and writing – is it the raw portfolio data? The write-ups on specific companies? Research on specific verticals (e.g. what I'll share with you soon on the security space)? If you have thoughts, please DM directly at @0zero_knowledge.
Here we go 💪
Polychain Capital wins the award for the most basic website but the most versatile portfolio. Here's a glance 🥇 and what you can expect below:
Here's what to expect below 👇
- Polychain Capital's portfolio broken down by layer, blockchain, company type, and category.
- Most interesting company in the portfolio 🚀
- 💼 Entire Binance portfolio (in an Airtable sheet).
Below is a thematic view of Polychain's investments by:
- Category (ex: infrastructure vs. finance companies)
- Company type (ex: payments vs. NFTs and digital ownership companies)
- Layer (ex: L1 vs. L2)
- Blockchain (ex: Eth vs. Solana)
#1 Investments by category
#2 Investments by company type
#3 Investments by layer
#4 Investments by blockchain
Most interesting portfolio company 📈
- Elevator ⚡️: Constellation Network ($DAG), which is one of the only true layer 0's.
- What is the difference between layer 0 and layer 1 🚨? Layer 0 is essentially infrastructure that connects different layer 1 blockchains. Layer 1s are meant to be their own sovereign environments which developers can build decentralized applications on top of. Essentially you can think of layer 0 as the ground zero layer that connects different layer 1s using various methods with the main tradeoffs being the required security, scale and interoperability of developers looking to build multichain solutions.
- More technical explanation 🤓? Constellation (DAG) is a protocol that uses a directed acyclic graph architecture to achieve a consensus that is, in theory, capable of infinite scalability. With the DAG protocol and custom state channels, Constellation is driving the evolution of smart contracts by allowing data sources to be integrated into distributed ledger technology (DLT).
- Ambitious aspirations 🤝: What Constellation Network is trying to build is very ambitious and I'm rooting for them from the sidelines. Disclaimer: I don't own any $DAG.
Individual portfolio company data
Let us know what you think here!